Updated: May 29, 2021
Kyrie Eleison! Lord Have mercy! Kyrie Eleison
Holy Monday [Cursing of the Fig Tree]:
Cursing of the fig tree - The fig tree represents the Jews who were saying that they are children of Abraham but have no fruit of prophecy - Matthew 21: 18-19
The cleansing of the Temple - Matthew 21: 12 -13
Holy Tuesday [Day of Questioning]:
The Pharisees questioned the authority of Our Lord and Savior Eyesus Kristos – Mark 11: 27-33
The Parable of the Ten Virgins - Matthew 26:14-16
The Parable of the Wicked Vinedressers - Luke 20: 9-19
Holy Wednesday [Day of Betrayal]:
Council of Pharisees who came together to decide the fate of Our Lord and Savior Eyesus Kristos - Luke 22: 1-2
Betrayal of Our Lord and Savior Eyesus Kristos by Judas - Luke 22: 1-6
Holy Thursday [Day of Prayer]:
Our Lord and Savior Eyesus Kristos celebrated the Passover with His disciples - Matthew 26: 17-35
Washing of the feet - John 13: 1 -17
Instituted the Sacrament of the Eucharist/Holy Communion - Matthew 26:26-29
Good Friday [Day of Crucifixion]:
It is also called Sekelet in Geez meaning crucifixion.
Crucifixion and death of Eyesus Kristos - Matthew 27, Mark 15, Luke 23 & John 19
Holy Saturday [Kedamet Seure]:
1. The day that Our Lord and Savior Eyesus Kristos’ body lay in the tomb- John 19: 38-41
2. The Harrowing of Hell - 1 Peter 3:18-20
May our participation in this Holy Week of Our Lord and Savior Eyesus Kristos’ Passion allow us to take up our own cross and follow Him to His glorious Resurrection.
Chief of Martyrs Saint Georgis - ሊቀ ሰማዕታ ትቅዱስ ጊዮርጊስ
Saint Georgis is one of the Honored Martyrs in the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo church, wherein he is referred to as the "Chief of Martyrs". The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo church commemorates his feast on the 23rd of every month.
Furthermore, Saint Georgis's major feast days per year are;
· His Martyrdom on the 23rd of Miyaziya (May 1). Before his final rest he was recovered from death three times including once when he was chopped into many pieces and buried.
· The commemoration of the blossoming of the dry pillar of poor widow, blessings of her house and and healed her four year old disabled son on the 7th of Hidar (November 16th)
· The scattering of his bone on Tir 18th (January 27)
· The transferring of his relic on Nehasie 16th (August 22nd) that overlaps with the feast of the Assumption of Holy Virgin Mariam.
May the prayer and intercession of St. Georgis be up on us all!